Friday, May 13, 2005

Running Sucks

I hate running. I have for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's because I have a knee that hurts when I work it out, maybe it's because of the wonderful botched hernia repair I got from the Army or maybe it's because I weigh nearly two hundred pounds and my poor legs just don't like to carry me around at any rate of speed over a walk. I knew I was gonna have to start running sooner or later however. I couldn't simply keep going to the gym and throwing up weight because as I continue to get bigger (heavier) it's only going to get harder and harder to run. So I ran.

Last night was the first time I have run further than from my barracks to the bus I was about to miss in almost six months, and I was none to excited about it. I ran with the NCO who is here to replace me and one of the cable guys attached to my team. I will call the NCO Bunk and the cable dawg C.S. We set the time for 1900L, shortly after sunset. There is no way you are gonna run here when the sun is up. None of us are trying to die from a heat stroke. We set the course. We were going to run around perimeter of the camp roughly 3.1 miles. We set the uniform. Anything we wanted plus a reflective belt. I used the free one the Air Force gave me that made me "car proof", and we were off.

Bunk set the pace because he is a big dude so we all naturally assumed he would be the slowest, and we set out at slow jaunt. The kind of run that soldiers always complain about. "My knees hurt, We are running too slow!" I liked it, but I guess I was starting to step it out a little too much. I was starting to "feel it" and really picking up the pace. Bunk yells out like a little girl, "Slow down man! You keep speeding up." "Was I? I didn't notice...." I said with a wolfish grin. Bunk held tight with C.S. and I for a little more than half of the 3+ mile stint, and then he had to start taking breathers, which I didn't mind... at all.

As we rounded the last turn and started the last half mile back to the start point I was itchin' to go, but I stayed back with these two guys. Bunk was really breathing hard and C.S. was gettin' there two so I waited. We got inside that last 1/8th of a mile or so and I bolted. Man it felt good. The wind mixed with the sweat all over me felt great in the heat and I was amazed at how good my legs felt. They just kept pumping harder and faster and I came across the start point at a full sprint (which for me isn't that impressive) and I was done!

Today my hip-flexors hurt worse than they have in a year and my knee is screaming, but I was proud of myself. Today I get to do it again. Great.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Atta boy!! :D


7:51 AM  
Blogger Papa Ray said...


Good work, but be careful.

Read this and you will save yourself some pain and/or injury.

Continue the Misson.

Papa Ray
West Texas

9:25 PM  
Blogger Chris said...


4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home